In the area of Scovolo ancient pile-dwellings have been found, as well as many relics that indicate the passage of the Romans, such as the stone tablet dedicated to Neptune that can be seen on the wall of the parish church and a necropolis. During the Barbaric invasions a castle was built to defend the territory; in 1279, Brescia decided to destroy the castle and those that lived in the area moved to another area nearby, naming the place San Felice di Scovolo, where a new castle was built and then later destroyed in 1509 by the French only to be rebuilt under the rule of the Serenissima. The sculptor Angelo Zanelli was born in San Felice in 1879.
Not far from Desenzano and Salò, in San Felice del Benaco (BS), on the west side called "Valtenesi", is the oldest Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. The site is surrounded by devout silence. A large square with trees leading to the Church which dates back to the fifteenth century, in a single nave, suffused with mysticism and completely covered by exquisite frescoes. The Sanctuary, which began in 1460 (the year in which the Carmelite friars of the Mantuan Congregation were asked to give their service) just outside the village. This was where a chapel dedicated to "S. Maria delle Grazie" had already existed since 1452 and was solemnly consecrated on 17 January 1482 by the Carmelite Bishop Giorgio Vink, suffragan of Trento. It did not originate from a few appearances, but from the filial faith of so many believers in the One who is the Mother of the Redeemer: Mary, the Mediator of all graces. Tradition has it that it was the local fishermen expressing their gratitude to the Virgin Mary for having saved them so many times from the sudden and terrible storms that swept across the lake. One thing however is certain: the times were full of disasters and the plague was claiming many victims. Here people flocked to say their prayer, supplication and give thanks for favours received, to the Virgin Mary. This is evidenced by the many frescoes (ex voto) commissioned by the faithful for the favours received from heaven. On 2 August 1770 a drastic decree of dissolution of the monastery by the Republic of Venice swept away all the work done by the monks over many years of presence. In 1952, after a forced absence of 182 years the Religious Carmelites returned to the Sanctuary of San Felice del Benaco. They soon set about restoring the sanctuary to its former glory, which, besides being abandoned for too long, had also been completely pillaged. Since 1994 it has become the Marian Centre of the Carmelite Apostolate whose purpose is to facilitate the irradiation of Carmel in northern Italy.
The castle was built in the early Middle Ages as a receptacle to defend against barbarian raids; of the ancient building today there remains only a stub of a circular tower. One part was used as the headquarters of the Municipal Library, now located in the new premises of Via Chiusure and a part is still used as the headquarters of the Alpine Group of Portese and meeting place for the elderly.
The building is located in via XX Settembre at no. 11, today it is very difficult to define the style of this building, because following the passage of several properties, it underwent several transformations. However, there are three testimonies that confirm, with precise dates, that the severe building dates back to the eighteenth century. It takes its name from an ancient Salodian family; for over two centuries it was a private home, from 1974 to 1989 it was used as a secondary school and in 1993 it became the seat of the Municipality of San Felice. Inside you can admire the finely decorated wooden coffered ceilings, some coats of arms and allegorical figures.
Discover all the points of interest in the city.
Festa di SS. Felice, Adauto e Flavia 30th August
Ospedale di Salò - Piazza Sergio Bresciani, 5 Ospedali di Desenzano del Garda - Località Montecroce
FARMACIA – DE GIULI DR. GIANBATTISTA Viale Italia, 4 FARMACIA DISPENSARIO - DR. DE GIULI Via Benaco, 10
SPIAGGIA BAIA DEL VENTO SPIAGGIA PORTO SAN FELICE SPAGGIA GARDIOLA SPIAGGIA PORTO PORTESE
PORTO – Via Porto S. Felice